Click to download a printable copy of Meeting 1 Brief
Click to download a printable copy of Meeting 2 Brief
Study of Block Scheduling at Galesburg High School 2016-17
Galesburg School District 205
Purpose: Determine the Effectiveness and Efficiency of Block Scheduling at GHS
Nov. 22, 2016 * Meeting No. 1 * Brief
Superintendent Ralph Grimm brought the charge to the committee:
- Looking back to 1999-2000 what was ‘promised with block scheduling?
- Is the Block Schedule effective, efficient and financially viable?
- Does the Block Schedule allow us to meet the needs of today’s students?
- Introductions - Seven of the eight committee members (Laurie, Ben, Jeff, Matt, Gloria, Stu and Peter) were present. Each of us shared our perspective based upon our experiences and knowledge on the charge and the assignment before us.
- Communications - We talked about ways in which we can effectively communicate what we are doing on this advisory committee so that the Galesburg School District ‘community’ can be kept informed. We agreed that we should share something each time we meet that helps people understand our process.
- Review previous studies - We briefly reviewed the study lead by Carol Struck in 1999-2000 and the follow-up studies that were done in 2002, 2003 and 2010. We agreed to continue to study this material.
- Surveys Staff, Parents, and Students-- We agreed that if we do any further surveys, we should focus on the needs of current students as we prepare them for their futures within our current cultural environment.
- Gathering student achievement data – We will look at trends over time for key data about the high school and its students, which will be pulled together by Jeff and Matt for our next meeting. We will also look at the national research about what students should know and be able to do in order to be college and career (and life) ready.
- Future meetings - We set our next meeting for Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 3:30pm at Galesburg High School in Room 15 near the Main Office.
Questions may be submitted through the Galesburg CUSD 205 Contact Us Page
December 7, 2016 3:30 p.m. Meeting No. 2 Summary Room 15 GHS
Laurie Aten . Ben Bredemeier . Jeff Houston . Matt Jacobson
Gloria Osborn . Stu Schaafsma . Lori Sundberg . Peter Flynn (Consultant)